From the Desk of Dr. Porter
That time is upon us, the time when Washingtonians begin thinking about their departure from the heat and humidity. After all, DC was built on a swamp, leading to harsh temperatures and increased humidity, and thus the desire to leave the area. Of course, you have to pack, stop by Barnes & Noble to grab your beach read, and figure out any last minute transportation or logistical issues. But what do you need to do in order to keep your skin in tip-top condition while you are away? I have listed just a few items to add to your to-do list to lessen the effects of the sun on your skin.
- Pack your sunscreen – It is always best to have one for your body and one for your face. EltaMD® has both tinted and white sunscreens for sensitive skin to dry skin types. We have in office testers to figure out which works best works for you. EltaMD is the product of the month for August, as a result, all sunscreens are 10% OFF when you mention summer special.
- Pack your floppy hat – While a baseball cap covers the central part of your face, the lateral cheeks go unprotected. Take a packable yet cute big floppy hat to protect your skin.
- Touch up your Botox – Botox® and Dysport® relax muscles of the brow or crow’s feet. In bright sunny weather, we have a tendency to squint, which deepens the wrinkles around the eyes. Even a little Botox or Dysport can help your skin to look better. Dysport begins working within 24-36 hours if you are in a rush to get to the result. We have a Tox2GO (drop-in Botox and Dysport hours) Friday, August 5th from 8:30am to 11:00am if you feel you can’t commit to an appointment.
- Pack your antioxidants – the use of an antioxidant or a hydrator under your sunscreen helps to scavenge the free radicals and reduce the harmful effects of the sun. Some examples include Obagi Vitamin C (antioxidant) or SkinMedica® HA5 (hydrator). Call us if you need to restock and we will have it ready for you to pick up.
When you arrive at your destination, here are a few more tips:
- Find the Shade – Seek out an umbrella/ cabana even if there is a fee attached, the protection is well worth it. It is so much easier to improve skin that is in pretty good condition vs. weather/sun damaged skin.
- Hydrate – Fill your water bottle several times a day and stay hydrated. Your body and your skin will thank you for it.
So make sure the following are in your packing list:
- EltaMD Clear or Daily SPF
- Floppy Hat
- Water bottle
- Antioxidant or Hydrator
Following these tips will lessen the need for corrective measures on your return. Maintaining healthy skin is so much easier than correcting sun damage.